Monday, September 22, 2008

randomosity

These days, besides being outside-my-mind busy, my internet is giving me a hard time. It works pretty much on a Garfield schedule, which means whenever it feels like it. There is one crucial exception: it functions perfectly each time a repairman trouble-shoots it (don't you hate that?). It's do-or-die when I get back from Humla. It will work or I will have some serious hissy fits.

If you haven't already, you need to check out my teammate's blog listed on the right sidebar. Every time I see their twins I have to smile. . .especially at Keane. His smile is amazingly contagious. Also, if you want to see what I was doing over the weekend (and if I don't have time to post it here before the next trip) you can get a pretty good idea from Kristin's latest post.

Let's see. . .these last few days have been VERY busy. I can't even really remember what I've been doing. Saturday morning we had an 8 a.m. meeting with N-bu (short for his real name, of course, but sometimes we refer to our partners by their first initial and 'bu' because their names all end with 'bu'!) about our upcoming trip. Then to Kristin's at 1:30 for the princess party, which was a sleepover, too. Amber and I left Sunday morning around 10:30 to run to the bank to get money to meet with N-bu again, then to drop it off, and then home to shower for fellowship that night. This morning I had a 7:15 a.m. meeting about 20 minutes walk from my house. I was meeting N-bu who walked with me over to a new house to teach English to about 9 guys. I taught from 8-9:15, then came home, made a few calls, and headed back out again to shop for groceries for the trip with N-bu and Amber. After grabbing a quick lunch of dal and roti (beans and flat bread) on the way home, I took a can of gas over to my friend and neighbor Jessica's house (2 min. walk). We took her scooter to meet Amber and some girls from the mountains at a coffeeshop. Leaving a bit late from the shop landed us in an hour of traffic on the way home. Yuck.
I bought some bananas, eggs, and sugar on the short walk home from where we disembarked the taxi. Jessica and Matt helped us make pancakes, eggs, bacon, and fried oreos (which were a bit of a flop, unfortunately). The fried oreos were not my brainchild. . . those of you who know me know that I'm a bit of a health freak if given the choice. Anyway, while they were making dinner I was making whole-wheat/barley/wheat germ crescent rolls (see previous "health freak" comment) for the ladies' luncheon tomorrow. Tomorrow a.m. I'll be cooking the chicken to make chicken salad as the filling.

I heard today that we may be leaving Thursday for this year's final mountain trek. It'll be the trek to end all treks. Lots to tell about it after we get back, since posting some stuff here could compromise some of our travel plans :), but let's just say it has some pretty exciting prospects. It also has some pretty excruciating prospects, like hiking 6 days straight just to get to the most remote village. Pray for us for strength, endurance, and a miracle: a helicopter ride :) More on that later.
If you hung in this long, thanks for putting up with the ramblings. Upcoming trip dates are Sept. 26-Oct. 17. Thanks for remembering us.

1 comment:

Camille Davis said...

Thanks for the update! Sounds like an exciting couple of months ahead. Thinking of you :)

-C

P.S. Your crescent rolls sound yummy! I should get your recipe - I hear you are quite the bread-baker :)