This post is a few days late, but I wanted to post a pic of our long-awaited chubas. Unfortunately, it won't upload tonight. Maybe another day.
Mine reminded me more of a corset than a chuba. Putting it on the first morning of Losar was a painful reminder why I should not eat too much kepsei. I actually had to stand up straight, exhale, and vigorously retract my stomach--simultaneously--just to get the hooks on the side fastened; that takes coordination. After all of that, the ties had to be wrapped twice around the ribcage, and when my neighbor wrapped it for me, I couldn't take a deep breath! Craziness. I couldn't even assemble it myself because the tailor sized it that much too small. . .I really don't know why. But, as they say so often here, "Ke garne?" or, "What to do?"
It was about 70 degrees the day of the photos (and this is February, no less), which is unusually warm for this time of year, from what I understand. The whole Losar festival lasted about 3 days, and was filled with lots and lots of tea and kepsei (see earlier post), and watching lots of card games being played. For many men here, alcohol was a big part of celebration, and often the kids would sneak some of the "chaang" or beer. I was wondering why some of them were so mellow. . .
Pictures coming soon. . .I promise. . .
Tuesday, February 12, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment