Thursday, January 31, 2008

language

I know those of you reading this won't completely be able to identify with me on this, but try to put yourself in my shoes for a minute. Think about this:

You're learning language A in your town. Everyone in your town speaks a little of language A, but their natural language of preference is language B (or language C, D, or E). When you visit your friends' homes, they know you're learning language A, but when they speak to each other (about life or about you), they use language B. You and your American roommate speak language F, which is English. You know people who speak language A fluently, but they are not the people you're supposed to be getting to know. People from your people group who prefer to speak language A live on the other side of town, 35 minutes away on a good day. So when can one ever practice language A??!!

Did you get all of that?

2 comments:

Camille Davis said...

Haha! I love this description and I completely understand. It makes the whole "language route" thing a bit more challenging, but who doesn't love a good adventure? :)

Taiwanking05 said...

I totally understand. I hate the part that whenever they don't want you know what they are saying they switch languages. That seems so unfair. One time we were out with anolder Chinese guys who always spoke to us in Chinese, and I was very proud that I could communicate with him. And then when we went into a store an old lady told him in Taiwanese to stop talking in Chinese and only use Taiwanese in her store. I was so mad, but what could I say? The only phrase I nedw in Taiwanese were you look nice, and I and a Taiwanese person. I was to angry to compliment her and to shy to joke. So I said nothing. Like you said what a great way to learn a language. Keep up the hard work, one day you will find someone to practice with. I will think about how the father can help you with your little problem.